Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mt. VeSuevious

~

Warning: Tidy-minded readers may find this post painful.

~

A yarn volcano has erupted in my living room. Trails of fibrous lava are snaking everywhere, and threaten to overwhelm the nearby furniture. Viewing the woolly disaster area, certain questions spring to mind:

1. Why do I have either no ideas at all, or 8 ideas at once? There seems to be a sort of feast-or-famine principle governing the distribution and flow of creativity, under which inspiration begets inspiration, giving birth to an ever-changing, ever-growing pile of UFOs in my living room (and dining room, and bedroom). Which leads to Question 2:

2. Why don't I simply finish one project before beginning the next? (The cry of crafters through the ages.) Am I afflicted with artistic ADD? If so, what is the treatment?

3. Will I NEVER learn to wind my yarn into tidy balls before I start crocheting? (Not the first time I've asked myself this.) I justify this negligence by telling myself I may wish to work with the yarn doubled - and that's easiest to do with an original skein, which allows me to use one strand from the middle and the other from the outside. Is this a valid excuse?

Perhaps what I need is an iron supplement (to strengthen my self-discipline).

Or maybe just a spare room.


How do you keep your yarn under control?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

16 comments:

  1. As much as I too would like a spare room for may crafty stuff, I instead make use of the entryway closet where I have hung shoe tidies from the bar. See the bottom of this post from my blog: http://www.stratagempurple.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/new-picture-for-blog-title.html
    While this picture only shows 3, I now have 4 for my ever growing stash :)
    As to having a billion ideas, I write mine down on a piece of paper attached to the back of one of the closet doors, even if I'll never get around to realising them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be worse if it weren't for ziploc bags. :-) How did we ever survive without them?

    I am intrigued by the green, pink and yellow thing down in the lower right-hand corner....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but I would consider that tidy and restrained as you can actually see what's under it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ikea see through stackable storage boxes, space for one in a bookcase in the living room and a "spare" room (study/craft/computer room)for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or perhaps all you need is someone to say" It's OK" and "You're OK" Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep it suppressed with a generous mulch of annoying plastic toys :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is rather tame. :) I think a spare room is the answer except for the fact that if I had an entire room, it would be full in no time. So it's probably better to keep the little space in my living room!
    (((Hugs)))
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH OH! After this mess, you certainly weren't happy to find this NEW BLOGGER CRAP-O-LA, hu?

    Did you post this, before the NEW BLOGGER CRAP-O-LA was installed this morning/Thurs.???

    My only words for this NEW BLOGGER CRAP-O-LA, are...

    "Damn, damn, damn, DAMN!"
    ~Professor Henry Higgins
    Quote from "My Fair Lady"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the same way, a dozen projects at the same time to keep my flittering mind entertained. And a small mess where each lays which means messes every where. The cat loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad to say, I don't really. I just have one pile of tote bags filled with UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm SO with Pembrokeshire Lass! Who cares what it looks like while in progress, as long as the FO makes 'em drop dead! I personally thrive upon being able to work on whatever mood hits me, and they'll all get done one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As with most things, yarn has a life of its own. It does what it wants and goes where it wants to go. Why fight it? go have a Peanut instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honest answer to that last question ... with difficulty. I have to keep all the woolly balls corralled in bags and boxes! Skeins I place on a swift and wind into a centre pull ball ... which does allow for using yarns doubled if required.

    So glad I'm not the only one with crafter's ADD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you have to have Crafter's ADD to be a crafter. I do wind my yarn before I start a project. I have my projects bagged and then in a storage bin. It still ends up a huge mess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do I keep my yarn under control? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.


    I don't! : (

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you find out how to control it all let me know. I was feeling bad about my yarn pile, but seeing yours I feel better. Mine looks very much like yours.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....