Monday, May 13, 2013

Blossom and Blue Skies

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Blossom at the edge of the woods
Cloud-kites flying in wide blue skies
Swirl of blackbirds crossing my path

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Spring has been flirting with winter for the last few days, with howling wind, spitting rain, and freezing nights. But Sunday is gloriously sunny and slightly warmer; the icy north wind has moderated to a merely chilly west wind.

Today I am hunting two types of flower. What I thought for years was wild plum has been blooming this week, and I'm determined to get some pictures of it. But the first tree I see is so tossed by the wind I have to (gently) hug a branch to get a still photo:


Now that I see the blossoms up close, they don't look at all like plum. (I find later that this tree rejoices in the name of Allegheny Serviceberry. Much less euphonious than "wild plum", but no less beautiful.)

Back on the road, the sun is shining at just the right angle (or so I think) for a turtle shadow shot - but it's harder than I realized to capture Tallulah's shadow:

Best we could do, Marigold

(Note to self: find smoother pavement for next turtle shadow shot.)

A mile or so up the road, just past my favourite larches...


...is the next flower on my list. At the larches' feet is a marshy stretch where grow these sunny little beauties:


Marsh Marigolds, or kingcups, have been rejoicing my sight on the last few training rides. I'm glad I can stop and take their photo today.


 A tiny bonus flower grows on the grassy bank...



 ...which turns out, when researched, to be Meadow Anemone, or Canadian Anemone.

My road leads next through some woods, where grows more Allegheny Serviceberry. The wind being temporarily blocked by trees, better photos can be taken:



Around the corner is another beautiful example, peeping out shyly from the edge of the woods:


Flower-hunting over, it's time to head west and into the wind.

Some favourite oaks:


I pass three great things all in one place - railroad, barn, blossoms:


A train is all that's required here to make my cup of happiness complete (but alas, it doesn't come).

The road curves around large open fields backed by pine forests. I like the stripes of green and brown, with blue-and-white sky above:


Crows in neighbouring trees:


We reach a main highway which leads to the next town. Here we have the option to ride on the road or on a raised trail next to the river meadows.

"What do you think, Tallulah? Trail or road? I'm inclined towards the road myself."

"I think the trail sounds prettier," she says. "Why would you want to ride on the road? What's wrong with the trail?"

"In a word," I say, "pedestrians."

"Oh," says Tallulah. "I was afraid you were going to say turtles."

"Turtles are no problem - they move in a reasonably straight line and you can usually tell where they're going. But humans on foot are unpredictable - I'd hate to run into one. And this trail is usually full of humans."

"What a prima donna," mutters Tallulah (who thinks I can't hear her). "I vote for the trail," she says more loudly. "You can take pictures of the river."

So we take the trail, which turns out to be blessedly smooth and free of foot traffic (human or chelonian). We're headed straight into the wind, so we can't go very fast, but we enjoy it all the same. On the horizon are the steeples and water tower of the town through which we'll pass:


The trail runs for about 3 miles, then we're back on surface streets.

We reach the river proper, and stop for a short break. Iris rests against a tree...


...while Tallulah climbs down for a look at the river (and possibly a nibble of this succulent plant):



Looking east:


And west:


Then it's back in the saddle, heading out of town to explore a road we've never ridden. We reach our turnaround point and head back, the wind and sun behind us.

The road dips and rolls...


...and passes over the interstate...


...and brings us back to town. Aided by the tailwind, we zoom down the trail...


...where a cloud of blackbirds swoops across our path and back again. We feel as if we're flying with them.

Soon we're on the last stretch for home. Shadow shot with cows:


Farm buildings glowing red in the sun:


The wind has veered back to the north and is getting very chilly indeed. It's good to reach the warm house.

A lovely ride, though windy. After days of (even windier) training rides fuelled mostly by determination, it's nice to take the camera out and mosey round the countryside, stopping for photos whenever I like.

34 miles
Miles this year: 409.7

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

39 comments:

  1. Well, you did try to get that turtle shadow shot! I like it, though I have to say, had you not had Tallulah in it, I might not have realized... I'm just sayin'. :)
    What a glorious day! So beautiful and *Shadow Shot With Cows* ... it sounds so Bohemian. And what's not to like about Marsh *Marigolds*! :) One stellar ride, my friend!!! (P.S. We have those Serviceberry trees here, though don't think ours sport the 'Alleghany' part. Ours have edible berries too. :) Do yours?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I kept her in the frame - otherwise it would have been a highly mysterious photo! She's just so tiny she doesn't cast much of a shadow.

      Yes, the tree produces berries - in fact now that I've read the description I realise I've seen the berries in autumn.

      Just think - if you stand in a grassy puddle, you can call yourself Marsh Marigold. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh how delightful... -happy sigh-

    Yeah, I can just enjoyyyyyyyyyyy, since I'm not doing the peddling! -grin-

    Oh and do all those lovely blossoms, have lovely fragrance? We had a plum tree for years, and it was soooooooooooooooooooooo delightful a smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fragrance, Auntie ... more's the pity. But they are beautiful, aren't they? When the real wild plum blossoms, you can smell its sweetness all over the countryside.

      Glad I can do the peddling for you. :)

      Delete
  3. Such a glorious ride in the country. It so wonderful to see such lovely flowers and trees along the way with river and lakes and grand barns.. I am sure Tullulah love the ride as much as you do... Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! It was a pretty ride - so nice to have leaves on the trees (finally!). :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks so much for commenting. :)

      Delete
  5. The larch around us is coming into leaf/needle too. The Serviceberry tree is very pretty. Good choice by Tallulah for taking the trail! Juliex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - it was a good choice on her part. :)

      Delete
  6. I love tagging along on your rides with Miss T. So adorable show she gets to tag along!

    Your photos are always so inspiring and truly make my heart smile.

    Blessings always dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki. So glad you enjoy our little trips about the countryside.

      P.S. Tallulah would like to know if she can be in your next story.... :)

      Delete
  7. I LOVE Larches. It was so fun to see yours.

    I bet you were behind my desire to get on my bike today! I need a little mascot I think...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little mascot is a great help. :)

      Hope you had a good ride!

      Delete
  8. Hello Sue, thanks for taking us on your cycle today, Tallulah made the right choice because we got to see the beautiful river. I absolutely LOVE all those red farm barns, beautiful. Thank you for all thepretty blossoms too, the little ones always get to me, I love them so. I'm afraid I'm not as good as you being able to name all your flowers. I shouldn't be so lazy and should be more curious to find out their botanical names,so sorry I'm afraid i can't answer your Q about the purple blossom I showed 3 posts ago.
    Well done on clocking up all those miles on Iris too, all for the ultimate good cause and big cycle xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny!

      I look up the flower names - believe me I'm no botanist! Google is a great help in this regard....

      I love all the red barns too. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow 34 miles. you're doing really well with your training for the charity ride. I'm sure that the improvement in the weather helps a lot now. It's so strange that this year spring and summer seem to be merging into one. I don't ever remember that happening before.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I've had only 2 warmish rides this year - seems like the rest have all been chilly to freezing. It is a strange spring.

      But at least the leaves and blossoms are out! :)

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous ride..I love Larches and I wish I had me some Allegheny Serviceberries. That Tallulah, what a task master she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she though? She's getting a bit of attitude....

      You may have Serviceberries out there - they grow in Washington, according to Marigold.

      I love Larches too - especially this particular bunch. For some reason I think of them as the Three Sisters (although there are actually 5 or 6). Perhaps Five Sisters would be more appropriate. :)

      Delete
  11. Such a beautiful post! How wonderful to see all the pretty flowers ~ especially marsh marigolds! Thanks for sharing your lovely ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! This is the first year I've noticed the Marsh Marigolds. I'm very slowly building my knowledge of local wildflowers. The blog is a great help as I feel it's only right to identify my photos.... :)

      Delete
  12. Great photos, but being from the Atlanta area, nothing makes me want to move there more than that quiet inter-state highway, WOW!

    Oh, and you know you quoted the song "At Last" from your last post? Make sure you read my post about Harry Warren! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay - I remember seeing it on the reader list. I will go back and check it out.

      The interstate can be much busier than that - but it's almost never jammed unless there's an accident somewhere.

      Delete
  13. I just love the bright red barns... they ooze of country living.
    Thanks for sharing your ride and the beautiful photos. Happy trails to you and Tallulah!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Hope your spring is warmer than ours has been so far.... :)

      Delete
  14. What beautiful pictures. Everything looks so green and lush and springy!!! Hope you didn't get a frost last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had patchy frost for the last two nights - but not anywhere nearby (as far as I could tell). The house was 58º this morning when I got up, but I refuse to turn on the furnace in May! :)

      Delete
  15. Bravo, Sue! A beautiful 34 miles and post! Thanks for taking us along on your ride!!
    xx,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me! Riding is a lot more fun when I know I can share photos with friends. :)

      Delete
  16. Looking east and west are like portraits. Someone has got to paint these! Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful blossom shots, especially the close-up. What a joy to go bike riding at this time of the year and breathe in that wonderful spring air and see nature awakening at last. She had a longer sleep than usual, didn't she?! Such lovely red barns and the pretty water shot against the light.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good mornign Susan!

    Sun is shining here today. Juppii! I had a dream last night and your Tallulah was in it in her purple and white beauty. :-) Have a nice day! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely to see wide expanses of blue sky Sue.....
    Red barns are a nice splash of colour and the Allegheny Serviceberry is just beautiful,
    with it's elongated petals.

    Another great set of photos from your ride.

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad to see Spring finally arriving. Beautiful photos.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sue, you make me wish I had stopped for photos on my weekend rides. The poppy mallows were out in full force and bobbing in the wind. I also saw a claret cactus with blooms just about to open and a fishhook cactus with one pink blossom already open!!! I so should have stopped. Keep being a good example for me, would ya!

    And thank you for sharing such a beautiful ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that I did look for barns, specifically for you, but Grand Junction doesn't seem to have this style, perhaps because the barns in the western portion of Colorado are more recent than barns in Wisconsin??? But I did look!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for trying, Deb - I think this topic came up before. And your guess is probably pretty accurate. :)

      Delete
  22. To Astri, Sandra, Regula, Claire, and Mere - I have replied to all your comments TWICE now, and Blogger seems to keep deleting my remarks!

    So a collective "Thank You" is going out - let's hope this one sticks! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....